Saturday, July 4, 2009

So happy Fourth of July everyone! We had our fireworks already at 12:00 am (that is when it was dark). I went and watched them over on Douglas Island at a house Camille is watching for free rent (:D This was to avoid the crowds and especially the drunk wasted people wandering the streets after. The fireworks were off a barge in the Gasenau Channel between Douglas Island and Downtown Juneau. This made for great acoustics because the boom of the fireworks would echo off the mountains on both sides. However visually they don't compare to home when the two churches competed with each other. There wasn't even a finale-they just ended! There also was a brief intermission during the show because they accidently lit some fireworks they weren't supposed to and the barge it on fire (at least that is my best guess from what I saw from the coast). It took about ten minutes before things started back up again. When it ended we were confused because of the lacking finale but we accepted it as over when we heard everyone yelling on both sides of the channel (that was cool). After we watched some hillarious late night infomercials and more lame stuff for about an hour, waiting for traffic to die down. So I ended getting to bed around 2 am. Then woke up at 5:30 this morning to go to work (btw I have not slept since). They kept me busy working and added on extra duties. I got stuck in the valley for 3 hours because of the parade. So I then I had nothing to do so I went and did some grocery shopping, ate a tasty feast of raisins fig bars and peanuts, and then stopped by Northstar Trekking to talk and socialize a bit. Then at 2 something I headed back to the valley and got stuck in the worst traffic I have ever driven in; I moved 20 ft or less in 40 minutes. But I suppose this is all ok because I ended up with 5 more hours of work in the end than I was expecting. I still feel fine and wide awake but gross. I bet I will be exhausted later. The only downside is that I was planing on going on a tour that would fly me to the glacier and then a guide would take us on a two hour hike on the giant ice cube, but I got back too late :( Oh well I still have two months to do that. 
Oh I got to wear jeans (b/c they are blue) and tennis shoes to work with my work shirt rather than black dress pants and dress shoes becau
se of the fourth. It was fun. We were also allowed to wear red, white, or blue shirts if they had collars-unfortunately I had none... meh.
Well once again--HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY! TH
E FOUNDING FATHERS ROCK MY SOX! 


A view of the fireworks. Notice how the sky is still light behind the mountain still at midnight.

This is a view of downtown on a rare sunny day. My apt. is above the tourist shop across the street from the Red Dog Saloon (the big red building on the left). You can pick out the red pillars of the building in between the yield and curve ahead signs. The blueberry blue bus and the white bus with the blue and green stripe on the bottom are two of the smaller buses that are driven in the company that I work with. 



2 comments:

  1. Happy 4th of July Heather! We just got done with watching the fireworks from the park with your family. Only one church was involved this year, but it was still a good show. I love hearing about the fun things you are doing up in Alaska. Have fun and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Heather! I'm FINALLY getting around to seeing your blog. Super cute! And, I don't know if I REALLY believe that Johnny Depp was here...I think someone who has a really nice boat got pegged as a celebrity and someone wished it was Johnny Depp...I don't care much for him. Except in Pirates of the Caribbean 1. He is phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete